Being in the health field myself, I personally do not drink but I know people like to indulge on special occasions like Christmas, New Years, etc. Here are some tips you should implement before you consume alcoholic beverages and throughout your night until the morning after. Always consume responsibly and only if you are of age (that goes without saying). These are just an FYI to help people out.
- It is well known that alcohol dehydrates the body so drink at least 2.5 – 3 litres of water before you start drinking alcohol at night. Coconut water is also beneficial as it’s high in electrolytes that replenish the body’s water levels after dehydration. Lemon water is also a good selection. You should also drink water in between alcoholic beverages.
- Eat these foods that help support your liver and gut lining. Enjoy protein like grass fed steaks, chicken and fish. Consume healthy fats like eggs (if not sensitive), avocados, spinach and almond butter. Some slow releasing carbs like sweet potatoes, kale and asparagus.
- Consume these supplements as alcohol depletes B vitamins, magnesium and hurts the liver. A B complex, B 12, vitamin C, magnesium, Lemon, Taurine, and N-Acetyl Cysteine are all good choices. Support that liver friends.
- Avoid drinks with congeners. So what are they? Congeners are ingredients produced as byproducts of fermentation and distillation. It has been noted that they tend to make hangovers more pronounced. Congeners are found in higher amounts in darker liquors such as brandy, dark rum, dark wine and whiskey.
- Get moving in the morning with some light exercise to sweat it out and get rid of the toxins.
Have some fun but implement these tips.