Each and every day we work with patients who suffer from an autoimmune condition. We have developed protocols for numerous patients with celiac, RA, Lupus, crohns, etc. We assess each individual and devise a specific plan for their condition and treat the body as a system of systems. Disease is not an isolated problem but rather the bodies way of expressing an underlying root cause.
You can’t even have an autoimmune condition unless you have a permeable gut. And autoimmunity can cause gut permeability and be caused by gut permeability. So taking all of the necessary steps to heal the gut — identifying potential pathogens, improving stomach acid, rebalancing the gut flora, removing things that are harmful for the gut from the diet, etc. — that’s like a crucial first step.
1. A genetic predisposition to autoimmunity (In the case of Celiac Disease that’s the HLA DQ2/DQ8 genes
2. An exposure to the environmental trigger (in Celiac Disease – that’s gluten)
3. Increased Intestinal Permeability (Leaky Gut)
Functional Medicine asks why that inflammation exists. When we identify the underlying sources, we can heal the body. Those causes include stress, hidden infections, food allergies or sensitivities, toxic exposure, genetic predisposition, nutrient deficiencies, and leaky gut.
In fact, there are primarily five root causes of all disease:
2. Microbes or imbalance of the bugs in your gut
4. Poor diet
5. Stress, RA, etc.
Step by Step on How to Heal
- Get tested for hidden infections. Work with your practitioner to check for hidden infections like yeast, viruses, bacteria, and Lyme or other tick borne illnesses.
- Control Blood Sugar. My plan is designed to eliminate most food allergens and reduce inflammatory foods.
- Get tested for celiac disease or any specific autoimmune disease. We can run these labs.
- Get checked for heavy metal toxicity. Mercury and other metals can cause autoimmunity.
- Fix your gut. Leaky gut and other gut issues such as overgrowth of bad bugs (yeast, bacteria, and parasites) fuel the flames of inflammation, exacerbating autoimmune diseases. Functional Medicine practitioners can test your stool and employ the 5R program (remove, replace, re-inoculate, repair and renew). This is from Dr. Mark Hyman.
There are another seven steps to follow and please reach out to our office for help. www.mikedaciuk.com or [email protected]
We assess each individual and devise a specific plan for their condition and treat the body as a system of systems. Disease is not an isolated problem but rather the bodies way of expressing an underlying root cause. Please contact our office to help with your autoimmune condition as you can significantly improve your quality of life.